Kyle O'Brien

Friday, June 05, 2009

Ireland: Day 5

Again another beautiful morning in Northern Ireland! The temperature was about 18 degrees celsius (about 65 degrees farenheit) and we have experienced temperatures equivalent to 70 - 75 degrees farenheit for the past four days...I thought we were in Ireland??? Even the locals are shocked at how nice it has been all week. Apparently, some of the Ambassadors said there was rain at their placement sights, but I haven't even experienced a drop of rain here in Ireland yet.


Today I hopped the bus with Bobby Hamill at 8:00 AM to head to Downpatrick. I don't know if I've mentioned this yet, but the schoolchildren from the surrounding areas all ride the public buses for free to their schools. Because they have the 11+ policy in which that then determines their secondary or grammar school, they need to be able to get to any school in the area. With such a well established public transportation system, the school district is able to provide this service.

Arriving in Downpatrick a little early, around 8:30, we went to Subway (I know...travel all the way to Ireland and eat at Subway...I don't get it either ;-)) Anyways, it is one of the few places in the area that we know that we can get a quick cup of coffee, so Bobby and I both ordered the 99p (99 Pence or .99 pounds)breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee (black coffe or white coffee...white is basically coffee with cream).

As were sitting on the steps of the St. Patrick Centre with our sandwiches we run into Jack (the Chairman of the St. Patrick's Centre Board) as well as Andrew (the Education Coordinator for the St. Patrick's Centre). We talked with both of them about how things have been and told them about what our plans were for the day. Both Jack and Andrew are going to be taking some Ambassadors home on Sunday to feed them a traditional Irish dinner. I'm going with Jack and am really looking forward to the opportunity. Jack is a retired headmaster from the Down High School. He is also a former professor of mathematics at the University of Chicago. He was also the men's rugby coach for the University when he was in the states.

Then I headed down to the office around "half nine" (9:30 AM). I walked into Minister Ritchie's office and it was an absolute whirlwind of activity. Minister Ritchie and her staff were working furiously on various projects and catching up on business after a very busy election day.

My first assignment was to go with the minister to visit Abby Field; an alternative assisted living home for elderly individuals. We had the opporunity to meet with Geraldine, Mary and Peter (not pictured). They began to tell us about the great things that Abby Field does as well as the benefits that residents receive by living in a community like this. They said that their demand continues to grow, but they lack the capital funding to increase facilities. Minister Ritchie's role, again, is the Minister of Social Development which strives to address the housing crisis in Northern Ireland, encourage social responsibility and create vibrant communities throughout the country. To see the Department of Social Development's website please visit: http://www.dsdni.gov.uk/index/about_dsd

Then the Minister and I walked back to her office and had another meeting with some individuals from another housing development within the national health system. Their concern was that their facility was going to be closed down and that their residents may not get the care that they need. Minister Ritchie did a fantastic job working with these individuals. Many times in the political scene, we see constituents complain about a situation but they don't offer viable solutions to the problem. Minister Ritchie very kindly asked these individuals to bring forth a draft of what they would like to see happen to their facility and their residents. She had told them that she would work hard to get them answers to their problems, but she needed them to work with her. It was great to see someone care so genuinely about their constituents, but also empower those individuals to help themselves with their own situation.

After this meeting, I came back to the office and was able to talk with the minister's staff for awhile. We discussed policymaking techniques, legislative procedure and they even learned about the Wisconsin Governor's former ability to cross out letters and multiple sentencnes in bill, respectively called the "Vanna White Veto" and "Frankenstein Veto". Before I even knew it, 12:15 rolled around and Bobby was at the door to go to lunch. So I left the staff, see pictures below, and went to lunch.

Bobby and I walked around Downpatrick for awhile trying to decide a place to eat. We walked around and I had made a comment regarding a pizza shop called, "Lone Star Pizza: Great Pizza. Texas Style". I had said that I really hope that people in Northern Ireland don't think that Texas is truly famous for it's pizza!!!

Anyways, the story gets quite humorous when we walk into an Italian restaurant to grabn some lunch and get stopped at the door by the owner, an Italian immigrant that started a pizza and pasta joint in downtown Downpatrick. His store didn't open until 5:00, but I just had to ask him about Lone Star Pizza. He went off on how that American started this chain and what kind of "crap" that guy served in his restaurant. It was absolutely hilarious.

Then I continued to ask him about his relationship with that owner. Apparently, the guy that owns the Lone Star Pizza is an American who wanted to buy out the Italian's store. He had named a price and apprently the American didn't bite...developed some hard feelings between the two. Then we got onto the topic of politicians and the Italian was telling us about how he has to vote every five years or else he will lose his ability to vote, but he hates politicians. His solution to this dilemma is that he votes for the write in candidate and writes, "You all are just a bunch of idiots!"...again this was a hilarious rampage that we were able to witness. We left with a great laugh, empty stomach, a new friend and another fantastic Irish experience.

Bobby and I finally settled on eating at The StrEat...a deli style fastfood chain in Northern Ireland. We ran into Jim and Meghan who had gotten off early for their lunch break after a tour of the old jail in Downpatrick.

I stuck around the StrEat for awhile and then headed back to the office. I sat down and read the Irish Times for awhile, as the Minister and her staff were extremely busy. While I was in the office for those short two hours after lunch, the office had about six different appointments with constituents. One of the appointments was someone who was looking for housing. I believe I've mentioned this before, but the Minister's office also provides housing for low or no income individuals in Northern Ireland.

This process is determined through a point system that allows individuals to receive points based on their situation (i.e. 70 points for being homeless, 5 points for each child, etc.) The more points someone has the higher priority they have for public housing. Also, this housing program allows individuals to rent and then if the house goes up for sale rent paid already on the house can be credited back to the buyer for purchase. The Minister attempts to balance the types of housing available because, as the mission states, the goal is not only to provide housing for the poor but also to make the cities more vibrant and lively.

After leaving work around 4:00, I headed back on the bus to get to Dundrum where we were first staying. I initially hopped on the wrong bus and the bus driver was kind enough to tell me I was in the wrong place. That's one thing I've learned in this week abroad...being independent doesn't work as well abroad. One relies on many others to make foreign travel successful...and don't be afraid to look like you don't know what you're doing, because (as in my case) you probably don't!

I headed back home and relaxed a bit reading the local La Crosse and Milwaukee news online. After awhile, Mame (a student here that works at the National Heritage Trust in Washinngton, D.C.), brought one of her coworkers from the Northern Ireland Trust to see our place and meet the American students studying here. The National Trust here is going to sponsor a trip for us American Ambassadors to see the western part of Northern Ireland next week Tuesday. It should be a great trip!

After awhile, we all went our separate ways and got ready because Dr. Campbell was coming by with Mr. Jack Ferris to take us sightseeing in the Downpatrick. We visited many historical sites along the Trail of St. Patrick including; The Cistercian Abbey of Inch (where the legend of St. Patrick and the snakes was written), the Struell Wells and St. Patrick's Memorial Church in Saul (first Christian church built in Ireland in 432 A.D.). The sights were breathtaking...notice some of the pictures from St. Patrick's Church. I've made the comment several times tonight that I don't think we could've had a better night to see St. Patrick's Church. I know heaven will be fanastic, but if it looks anything like what we saw on the hill outside St. Patrick's Church I would be completely content. I'll let the pictures do the talking.











When we were in the Silent Valley I had a woman interview me from the BBC. She asked me what my perceptions of this place were as someone who's never been to the Silent Valley before. I told her how it's something that is unfathomable until you actually get to see it in person. Pictures do absolutely no justice to the beauty. That statement defined tonight. Beautiful is a strong word...but this was an absolutely beautiful scene.

Til tomorrow...

All the best,

- Kyle

3 Comments:

  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Barb Donnegan said...

    Kyle,
    You are doing a great job on the blog. I am learning a lot from them and I look forward to reading future posts. Keep up the good work and thanks.
    Barb

     
  • At 4:07 PM , Blogger Kyle T. O'Brien said...

    Hey Barb,

    Thanks so much! We have been having a great time and I'm sure Allie's told you all about it. I'm looking forward to seeing you again here soon!

    Thanks so much,

    - Kyle

     
  • At 8:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I am the American that owns Lone Star Pizza and I can assure you the guy that owns the Italian Pizzeria doesn't know how good our Texas style pizza is. I did try to buy his shop and he wanted a ridiculous price for basically nothing. He did say the last time I approached him about buying his shop "I have just had new menus printed and I have decided to not sell". I guess that is the determining factor on me not deciding to buy his shop. You should have stayed around and enjoyed some of our Texas style pizza. Maybe on another visit to Downpatrick. Thanks for the laugh about the Italian Pizza shop.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home